Blight again. Can I save the fruit? 

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blight again. Can I save the fruit? 

Well, yet again my Tom's have blight due to a poor Summer and hardly any sun. I really don't know why I bother as I cut all the leaves off when I saw it on the foliage and yet only a few days later and the fruits are getting affected. Can I save them? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240919_153622_edit_1629865454373175.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2585464

Almost certainly not, no.

In future, I would recommend growing only blight resistant varieties outdoors. This has been a bad year for blight, and even my resistant varieties are relatively badly affected (compared to most years), but the infection is mostly limited to the leaves, and only around 10-15% of the fruit are becoming infected.
    I recommend varieties in the Crimson Crush series. Crimson Crush itself is a large tomato. There is also Cocktail Crush (also know as Crimson Cocktail), which is small to medium, and Rose Crush, which is a pink-hued beefsteak. All taste pretty good. I think there is a plum variety in the series, too.

Comment

Ok, thanks. It's just so depressing after getting such promising fruits yet again. Even blight resistant potatoes have had it. I'm going to cut all the leaves off my greenhouse Tom's to get the fruits to ripen quicker before anything gets them. A grower once swore by it for getting better fruit.
      Last edited by Marb67; Today, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Personally I’d remove all the healthy looking tomatoes, even if they are green, and either freeze them or chutney them.
        I’ve never managed to rescue any by leaving them to turn red. Once they show brown blotches they taste dreadful
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I would pick them all too. Sometimes you can get a few to turn red without going brown, but it depends how far the disease has spread inside the plant. It is going to turn cold anyway after the weekend. Tomatoes will ripen off the plant as long as they have begun to turn a yellowish green rather than the blue-green of very young fruit. If you are worried about blight it may be best to pick anything that looks even vaguely ripe and ripen them indoors.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X